Monday, March 1, 2010

Passion Party #170 - Wishes, Prayers, Action

Years ago I learned the correct way to pray
and I didn't learn it in Religious School.
The Hebrew prayers I learned were rote memorization of a foreign language
and alphabet (alef-bet).
When translated they mainly were just saying
"God is great"
and
"Do this to supplicate to God"
and
"Thank You God for giving us bread or candles, or whatever".
And then my prayers in English were really wishes,
"I wish I had a million dollars"
"I wish I could find True Love"
"I wish I was in a famous rock band"
"I wish my dog wouldn't die".

Then I learned a better way to pray,
to ask to be able to do God's will.
If I wanted something more specific, I could say "If it is your will, please..." and I could close my prayers with, "Thy will, not mine, be done".
And I learned that God is a pretty busy guy (or gal, or whatever), and that if I really wanted something to happen, I can't wait around for it like waiting for a bus to show up, I would have to take action to make it happen.

The moral of this story is:
Spend less time developing your wish-bone
and more time exercising your back-bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment