Monday, February 22, 2010

Passion Party #165 - Silence

There is an old proverb
"Don't speak unless you can improve upon the silence."
We develop in silence
only the sounds of our mother's heart beating,
the blood pulsing through the body.

In the morning I find silence again
before the dawn
before the world wakes up and starts rushing about
on the 405 Freeway

At night I can find that silence too,
if I am willing to look for it in the stars;
I find it on my Friday hikes,
and by the ocean when I let the tide become my soundtrack.

It is harder to find it in conversation
but that is often where it is needed most
that moment of listening, not responding
except in support, as I feel your pain
a gentle touch, a shoulder to cry on
I have to remember
Silence is sometimes the best answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment