Monday, June 22, 2009

Passion Party #9 - My Dad

My Dad taught me so much.
He taught me what to do and what not to do.
He taught me how to fish, the pleasure of sitting in a boat and doing "nothing" while we waited for the fish to bite.
He taught me to work hard and play hard.
He showed me the highs and lows of being an entrepreneur.
He taught me that the best thing you can do for your kids is to support who they are becoming and let them grow. And to finally get out of the way.
He taught me that it is OK to agree to disagree.
He taught me you can mediate, compromise and still get things done.

I resented my Dad for years, pushed against my parent's values and belief systems.
My Dad was a workaholic, and I felt forgotten over the years, abandoned to his pursuit of money - his pursuit that succeeded in getting three kids through college without student loans.

My Dad wrote letters to my Mom every day during the end of WWII, married her after the war, and loved her for decades. She greeted him at the end of each work day with a kiss. I learned something about relationships from this.
My Dad taught me by his actions, more than his words.
And I am grateful for all this.
Thank you Dad, I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment