Monday, October 23, 2017

Passion Party #584 - Income/Expense - Part 1

It's been about a year and a half now that my wife and I have talked about creating a budget.

Budget is such a dirty word
For me it has elements of shame and discomfort built into its definition

It has been easier for me to make more money rather than look at how I spend it.
But that time is over.  It's time to pull the curtain back and see what the Wizard of Oz really looks like.

Why is this important?
Its about getting clarity
and focus
and removing the weight of worry and doubt
It will give me a purpose as to what I am working for
or not working for
It will give me a clear path to work from/off of

My argument against getting this clarity was that my income fluctuates so much each year, how can I ever really predict the future?
But then I realized that it is not about predicting the future
It is about looking at the past and seeing where the money went, not where it is coming from.
The budget will create itself
once I have clarity on how I spend my money.
The budget will allow me to make choices.

Right now it is just about clarity
Putting my expenses into categories
filling in the pieces of the puzzle
with no judgement - it is what it is.
The income/expense comes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment