Monday, May 23, 2011

Passion Party #364 - Dumb Phone

We live in an age of consumer surveillance
unimaginable by George Orwell.
Who would have thought, 62 years ago, that we would
eagerly carry Big Brother in our pockets?

Smart phones have taken over.
It is true they give us a wealth of information at our fingertips, with GPS abilities, access to email, websites and customized programs. They give us more time to waste with FourSquare and Twitter. But they also give Apple and Google a wealth of information about where we are, what we are doing, saying and, at times, what we are thinking.

Often, in my office elevator, I seem to be the only person who did not get the memo that I should be staring at my phone.
At least once a week I see people get off at the wrong floor, struck dumb by their smart phone, not even aware of where they are going.

I now pride myself in having a cell phone that -- is just a phone.
Yes, it has a camera, but I have no idea how to get the photos out of the phone, and have no interest in learning.
I especially enjoy turning the phone off, at night and on weekends.
I enjoy leaving it in my car when I go on appointments and when I go for long walks.

The dumber my phone
the smarter I become.

No comments:

Post a Comment