Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Passion Party #129 - Everyday Grace

One on the most profound sculptures at the Smithsonian Museum is a massive sculpture of George Washington by Horatio Greenough commissioned for the centennial of Washington's birth in 1832. Larger than life, Washington sits like a Greek God, muscular and half-naked, one hand pointing towards the sky and looking out towards the future. In his other hand is a sword, but rather than holding it for battle he is holding the handle outward, with the sheathed blade pointing towards his torso. He is giving the sword away, passing it on to the next person to lead.

I have learned that it is these moments of giving that are most profound. More than the battle fought and won, it is the simple gifts given with thought that have the most impact.

Whenever I start working with a new client I send a thank you gift, to acknowledge that I appreciate working with the person. Usually it is a CD of relaxing music, to help bring some peace in a possibly chaotic time, but sometimes I send a book. I try to read the person, and send them something thought-provoking or spiritual in nature.

Recently I sent one client a book by Marianne Williamson called "Everyday Grace". A few days later I received this email:

"Hi George,
I just received the book you sent, Everyday Grace. It appears to be a lovely book . . . and somewhat eerily appropriate. Two of my brothers are flying with my mom to Connecticut after Thanksgiving to visit a faith healer--named Grace! And as you can imagine, we are praying for something miraculous! I hope this is a good omen, but it is definitely a reminder that whether or not we get a specific miracle, my mother is surrounded by God's grace every day."

So today I will continue to live in Everyday Grace and lead with the giving hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment