Monday, September 9, 2013

The Pursuit Of Passion - Whatever It Takes

Here is the second selection from the book, The Pursuit of Passion:


Whatever It Takes  
About 33 years ago I let go of my possessions, threw a few things into a Dodge van, and moved to Los Angeles. I decided to do whatever it takes to start a new life as a musician and composer.  I would be a pianist/composer in Hollywood, a musical “gunslinger” for hire.

About 23 years ago, when my son was two years old I got my first job in finance.  It had been ten years of grabbing scraps from Hollywood’s musical buffet table, and it was time to move on. “Road work” was not an option; the hit song remained illusory.  I looked at my watch and it said, “Time to get a real job.”
I had decided to do whatever it takes to shift into a new career.  A crash course in the Series 7 License got me a job at a municipal bond firm, which got me a job as a stockbroker in the Roaring 80’s.
Three years later I knew I was not meant to be a stockbroker, and I moved into banking.

About 20 years ago I got my first job as a loan officer for Columbia Savings and Loan. I decided to do whatever it takes to be a successful loan officer.  I rapidly learned that this meant leaving behind a regular paycheck and becoming a commission-based “salesperson”.

About 11 years ago I was burnt out after the real estate crash in the '90s, and was ready to try something new. I decided to do whatever it takes to build a mortgage business built on trust and honesty that would allow me to earn a great income and still have time for my music, my family and my life.

It is now 2009. After a long ride of financial success, my mortgage business collapsed with the rest of the economy.  Life is a struggle.  Any fun that existed in my business has been sucked out. 

I am here now. Once again, I am ready to do whatever it takes to rekindle the passion in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment