Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Passion Party #316 - If Love Somebody, Set Them Free

The hardest thing is to let go of a child.
You invest 17 - 18 years
into helping them grow and learn
giving visible and invisible support
love and understanding
And then
you have to let them fly.

I thought of this literally
as I put my son on a plane
for his first college audition
his blue whale of a cello travel bag
being dragged across the airport to the oversize luggage screening area.

This is my second time letting go of a child
and perhaps this time is easier
having experienced the pain and joy once before.

But no, it is not easier
knowing it is the right thing
doesn't stop the tears or the ache in my heart
and this is good
the tears let me know
I am doing the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment