Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Passion Party #331 - Make Time to Talk

Dinner at our house
is a sacred time
where we all stop what we are doing
and come together to eat and check in,
sharing about our day.

I never really thought about how
this activity had become a ritual,
a moment of time
requiring that we connect with each other as a family.
It has always been there; it is something I learned from my parents, and I carried it on in my household.

Last night while we were sharing our meal
my son got a text message from a friend.
It drew away his focus, and it never really returned.
This led to a heated discussion about
how rude it is to answer a phone (or even receive a text) while you are in a conversation with another person.

This is why I don't have "call waiting"
and why I leave my cell phone in the car at night
leaving my work day behind.

I want to give my undivided attention
to everyone I meet today.
I will initiate the conversations
and make time to talk.
Really talk with the person
and really listen to what they are saying.

“It’s important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds.” - Barack Obama

No comments:

Post a Comment