Friday, January 24, 2014

Passion Party #499 - The Servant Master: Self-abnegation

I have had some questions about this last series of posts.
 
I wrote them to remind myself that I am not in charge.
 
Self-abnegation is an interesting term with two very different definitions.
For me it is not "the denial of one's own interests in favour of the interests of others", as much as "the setting aside of self-interest for the sake of others or for a belief or principle."  (a subtle differentiation there, but very important).
 
I do not feel that I am denying my own interests - they are very much alive and important to me.
 
My day is filled with talking to people that want to buy or refinance a home and need counseling and guidance.  I need to keep remembering that it is not about "the sale" as much as "the service".  In the end I make money, but that is not my primary focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment